Congrats on signing up for the email newsletter marketing service!
To set yourself up for success, we want to get things started off on the right foot.
Add Subscribers to Your List
First, you need to make sure your list is up to date in Mailchimp or Constant Contact.
- If you've had an Odysys email signup form on your website,you can download a list of anyone who's subscribed. http://support.odysys.com/marketing/download-your-email-newsletter-subscribers - then upload those subscribers to your email newsletter platform.
- Get a list of guest email addresses from your booking engine and import them to your email newsletter platform. If you've been using the Odysys booking engine, you can download a list of your guests and whether or not they've opted in. http://support.odysys.com/booking-engine-reservations/front-desk-reservations/how-to-download-or-export-guest-reservations
Tips for Getting More Subscribers & Growing Your Email List
INCENTIVIZE VISITORS TO SUBSCRIBE
Sometimes people just need a little push. Incentivize people to sign up for your email newsletter. A simple way to do this is to add a little sizzle to your sign up language. “Sign up to get exclusive subscriber-only deals and [destination] travel tips delivered to your inbox monthly”
Some business owners even go so far as to offer content in exchange for signing up. For example "get our cookbook" or "get our guide to wine tasting in [destination]" etc. You can setup a trigger email to go out to new subscribers where you deliver this content. Check with your email newsletter platform (mailchimp, constant contact, sendgrid) on how to set that up.
Now that you've got a hook, use it.
GET MORE SUBSCRIBERS
Update the subscription forms on your website to use a form from your email platform (constant contact, mailchimp, sendgrid)
WEBSITE: IN-LINE FORM
We recommend an in-line form that appears on every page. Create your form in your email platform provider and then add to your website (if you're using an Odysys website - send us the code and we'll add the form for you)
- Mailchimp (go with the "condensed" form): https://mailchimp.com/help/add-a-signup-form-to-your-website/
- Constant Contact (keep it short): https://knowledgebase.constantcontact.com/articles/KnowledgeBase/18265-Create-a-Sign-Up-Form-with-the-new-sign-up-form-experience?lang=en_US
WEBSITE: POP-UP FORM
We don't recommend showing your pop-up form to visitors immediately after they arrive. We recommend setting up your pop-up form so that it triggers "on exit" or after the visitor has demonstrated a little bit of engagement with your content. Pop up forms can be set to show after a certain session length or scroll depth. (see your provider's documentation).
- Mailchimp: https://mailchimp.com/help/add-a-pop-up-signup-form-to-your-website/
- Constant Contact: https://knowledgebase.constantcontact.com/articles/KnowledgeBase/21407-Create-a-Pop-up-Sign-Up-Form?lang=en_US
OPT-IN YOUR GUESTS
- Online booking engine opt-in:
Check with your booking engine provider to see if there's an option to add an opt-in checkbox to the checkout process. If you're using the Odysys booking engine, visit Reservations > Settings > Booking Configuration and check the "Hotel Promotions" box.
- In-person opt-in: Ask guests if they'd like to join your mailing list. Provide a signup sheet at your front desk (make sure to include the incentive for joining)
TIP: You can even consider incentivizing your staff by offering a reward for the most signups in any given month or a bounty for each sign up etc.
Add a sign-up form to your Facebook page.
- Mailchimp: https://mailchimp.com/help/add-or-remove-a-signup-form-on-your-facebook-page/
- Constant Contact: https://knowledgebase.constantcontact.com/articles/KnowledgeBase/5294-add-the-join-my-mailing-list-facebook-app-to-your-facebook-business-page?lang=en_US
TIPS FOR SOCIAL
- Once you've got a signup form on your Facebook page, promote it to your followers. Incentivize them to sign up (see above). Use language like "don't miss important updates and exclusive subscriber-only specials.
- Share each newsletter you send with your followers and encourage them to subscribe.