How to Get the URL to Send to Guests for Google Reviews
It can be difficult to explain to a guest how to leave a review for your business on Google. Send them a link directly to where they can leave a Google review for your property instead!
Recently - Google added "shortnames" to Google Business and they make it very easy to get a review URL. More info:
Better & Easier Review URLs
The number one benefit to Google “short names” is that it is now MUCH easier for hotels to make a review URL and share it via printed materials etc. This is much cleaner than the previous methods for creating a review URL for your post-stay email. Once it is set up – your new short name review URL would look something like this: http://g.page/pineridgeinn/review/
How to Set Up Your Google Short Name & Get Your Review URL
1.) Login to your Google My Business account at https://business.google.com/
2.) You’ll see a message like this on your “Home” screen in Google business. (Alternatively, navigate to the “info” page and edit the short name there.)
3.) Click the “+” and create your short name
Your New URL for Google Reviews
And now you’ll see the review URL in your Google Business Listing “Home” screen.
- Be sure to add this link to your post-stay email to ask your customers to leave you a review on Google.
Once created – you can refer people to your business location with a g.page url: https://g.page/yourshortnamehere/ – example: https://g.page/odysys/
Or when you go to Google Maps and share your property location, you’ll see Google is using the new short name in the URL
Tips for Choosing Your Short Name
- Google will actually suggest a short name for you, so I’d just use that unless you prefer a different one.
- Just make it easy and short
- Do it now before another property with the same name steals your short name! (I’m looking at you everyone with “main street” or “blackberry” in your property name)
- There is no SEO benefit to the short name. This is purely for usability – so keep it short and don’t stuff keywords into it
- If you don’t create a short name is there any drawback? No.